While I was getting up and around this morning, I noticed what a beautiful sunny (albeit cold)day it was, so I thought it would be a nice day for the zoo after we dropped Morgan off at school. Archie and I have been studying tropical rain forests and I've been wanting to show him some rain forest animals and climate live and in person.
We packed a breakfast picnic, dropped off Morgan and we arrived shortly after the zoo opened. It was 31 degrees when we arrived! It couldn't have been more perfect! There was no one at the zoo. We got the 'rock-star' parking place right next to the entrance. The zoo looks a bit different right now because of the Festival of Lights going on there after dark. Lots of neat Christmas decorations and trees. We definitely have to check out the Festival of Lights during the Christmas season!
We ran into only one obnoxious group of elementary school kids in the reptile house, but otherwise had the zoo pretty much to ourselves! We were able to linger at exhibits and talk about them longer, without having to move along so others can have a turn.
Even though it was cold out, we had a great time. We did hit some of the indoor exhibits such as the Reptile House, Insect House, Manatee Springs and the Tropical Rain Forest to warm up a bit. It was really neat going into the tropical rain forest because it was so cold outside. When we walked in there, we almost choked on the humidity and heat. Which was what I was hoping for, to show climate differences.
We had our breakfast picnic and left around noon. Julie--the Zoo Membership is the gift that keeps on giving! Thanks!
So despite the cold, the absolute best time to do the zoo is right now. There are very few school field trips, fewer people running you down with strollers, great parking and nothing but time and quiet to spend at all the exhibits. And there are enough indoor exhibits in which to warm up a bit after you get too cold from walking around outside. I wish I'd have thought of this early last spring when it was cold!
No comments:
Post a Comment