We made it to Uncle Tom's house around 4:30. As soon as we pulled up in the yard, we were captivated by the Detroit snow. The snow was almost knee deep in their yard! We have never had snow that deep in Cincinnati yet. Archie asked me before we left if we should pack his snowsuit and I said no. So I was regretting that decision! The deepest our snow has gotten this season is ankle deep. We've never HAD to shovel our driveway or sidewalk. Sometimes I do just to clean it up a little and salt the walkway. We complimented them on their fabulous snow, which was probably a little surprising to them to say the least. They told us about their kids making snow forts back in the day. Snow forts! I would love to make a snow fort!
Aunt Becky cooked a delicious supper, and we all headed out to check out the ice sculpture competition in Plymouth, I think. That was sooo neat! I've seen ice sculptures on cruises and such, but never so many at once, and never so extensive! Plus it was snowing these really neat "as seen on tv" type snowflakes...I've never seen snow look like that! It was so beautiful to see the sculptures on the pristine, white snow. I have some pictures.
This is the first group we saw. Archie really enjoyed the dinosaurs!
Here is Archie "petting" a horse!
Here, Uncle Tom is holding Archie. We were watching an ice carving taking place. They used chainsaws to make the cuts, and a hot plate to smooth everything out and melt larger pieces together.
Archie and I behind the bridge sculpture. Phillip said that you really have to know my eyes to recognize me with only my face showing! We didn't know about going to the ice sculpture competition until we got there, so I didn't bring any extended outdoor winter gear. Usually I am prepared with my fleece hat and gloves and extra layers underneath. I was actually quite comfortable that evening, even though I hadn't dressed to be outside. Plus there were so many people all around, that it felt warmer than it was.
I loved this one. It's a bridge with a bunch of little animals and such in front! It was gorgeous! It was hard to get a good picture, because EVERYONE was trying to get a picture of it.
I enjoyed watching Coby catching snowflakes on his tongue! You can see a glimpse of Morgan to the left of him in the Jack Skellington hoodie and Jamie (my cousin Mark's wife) just in front.
Archie really enjoyed horsing around with my cousin Mark. Next to Mark and Archie, you can see Coby and my cousin Amber toasting by the fireplace!
My Uncle Tom, also known as The Mean Little Man, is shielding Archie from camera view with his coat.
We really enjoyed the evening! It really means a lot to me to be able to get back in touch with the family members I missed out on getting to know while I was growing up. It's kind of like finding new friends I didn't expect!
I wasn't feeling well at all the next day, so I missed out on going to the car show. Phillip went by himself. Since I was staying behind, Archie decided he would rather go to church with Uncle Tom and Aunt Becky than go to a car show. Morgan decided to stay behind as well. I really wish I could've gone to the car show, but I just felt horrible. I've been to lots of hot rod shows, a few drag racing events, but nothing like this. Phillip took some pictures.
Now the reason Phillip wanted to go to this car show to begin with was because of the new Camaro they were showcasing.
Here's an above shot. He took a few other pictures of it, but I think two are enough. You get the general idea.
Now if I were there, I would be taking photos of all the super silly concept cars. You know...just plain weird. Like this.
Or super fancy ones with hot babes nearby.
Or this one which has kind of a reverse rumble seat...the no-top convertible in front and a covered rumble seat type thing? Huh?
Or this one...it had a really neat paint job, but only one seat. The rest of the interior was devoted to stereo stuff. One seat???? How are you supposed to cruise for chicks in that? Where would one sit after you dazzle her with your super shiny car and totally pimped out stereo system? What good is that?
The Jeep display was really neat...it had a rock climbing wall.
Phillip says that 8am on Sunday morning is THE time to visit the Detroit Auto Show. There were very few people there that early and you could get to just about everything. He says that next time, he would hurry up and get to the cars he really wanted to see first because it really began to pack out after a little while. He says next time, he probably wouldn't waste so much time staring mystified at the cool jeep display, gazing at the totally cool waterfall for so long. He did take a video of the waterfall. Give it about thirty seconds of play...the water begins to make pictures and words. Although it'll be difficult to see without the benefit of the full screen. Oh well.
Thank you so much to my Uncle Tom and Aunt Becky for being so hospitable and fun! We really enjoyed being with y'all! Archie enjoyed himself so much that he cried when we had to leave. We really had a blast! I hope y'all don't mind if we invite ourselves to visit again!
3 comments:
Cool Cars! Lucas would have loved it. Hope you are feeling better!
Its funny you ask about the "TouchDown" Jesus, go to the Columbus Dispatch web site and check out the Sunday 1-12-08 metro section and look for Mike Harden commentary, tells about it, go to "dispatch.com"
I sure hope Uncle Tom is happy, he made the web site, now quit crying about it you big baby
Old E
Wow...the ice sculptures are really neat...good pictures,too! I'm sure Archie really enjoyed seeing those. The car show looked really neat...I've always liked to see those concept cars on tv...how great to see them in person! Hope you're feeling better!
Post a Comment