Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Archie's Horrendous Crash

Yesterday, after snack time, Archie wanted to ride his bike out front. He doesn’t just ride…he tears up and down the sidewalk like a maniac on his bike. I went out front to read some of my book and watch him ride. I always tease him about leaving black marks on my sidewalk and how much trouble he is in because he skidded his tires and left marks.

Our neighbour was getting ready to back out of his driveway, but wasn’t quite ready to go yet, so the car was idling while he was getting situated. Archie began his descent down the hill very fast as usual, when he lost his balance for some reason or another and down he went right behind our neighbour. To his credit, after he stopped skidding down the sidewalk on his bare knees, he yelled to our neighbour not to back out and scrambled out from behind his car. Of course, I’m sure our neighbour saw me running as fast as I could to get to Archie as well.

Archie was pretty banged up…one knee was pretty bad; the other one was bad, but not as bad as it could have been. He had a scraped up elbow and scrape marks on his chest and side. He was quite a trooper while I was trying to clean out the wounds. He had fingernail marks on his thighs where he dug his nails in while I was trying to wash out the knee wounds. Eventually, I had him soak in the tub while I went to Walgreens to get proper bandages. The ones I had were not heavy-duty enough, nor large enough. So after a long soak, copious amounts of Neosporin, and some careful bandaging, this is what we have:



His bobos have been quite the badge of courage and he has shown everyone we’ve come across today. I mean everyone. Most of the ladies working at the library (some of the other library patrons as well), the guy at the Saturn dealership where I was getting some repair work done, everyone at snack time, the little girl next door…everyone!

I’m not quite sure if receiving the scrapes was worth it to be able to talk about them, but I’ll bet it’s a pretty close race. He is just hoping all will be healed up by T-ball time.

No comments: