Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Appalachian Trail Hike—Finally!—Thursday

Yes, I’m finally getting around to recapping our Appalachian Trail hike, which took place around Memorial Day weekend. I wanted to get this out two weeks ago, but I guess we’ve been a bit busy around here. Sometimes the pics take forever to upload and I’ve been short on time and/or energy. I’ll summarize by days in separate posts:

Thursday:

Thursday was a mad dash to make the final preparations and pack our stuff for the trip. I was feeling quite stressed out trying to get everything done so we could leave precisely when Phillip got home from work. Which didn’t happen, of course! I think we got under way around 8 pm, after picking up the rental car and re-packing all our stuff in it. One of the things I love about NOT living at the very bottom of the United States is that it doesn’t take a minimum of eight hours to get anywhere…From here in Cincinnati, it only takes a little over four hours to get to the Smoky Mountains!

One of the few perks of having a husband who travels frequently is that we rack up the hotel and rental car points. So we arrived at our free hotel in our free rental car around midnight or so. I was so excited about beginning the trip, I felt like I didn’t sleep all night. I’m sure I did, but it felt more like dozing off and on. Sometime during the night, I felt a biting around my ankle. Then it itched. Which made the rest of me itch. Which made me quietly freak out over the possibility that our free hotel room could be infested with bedbugs. I was really trying to calm down and not wake Phillip and Archie, but it was everything I could do to keep from switching on the light to yank off the covers and sheets to check for the gross little suckers.
Friday's recap coming tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

luksky said...

One thing I don't like about living in central Texas is it takes hours just to get out of the state of Texas! You gotta really love Texas to live here.