Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

No More Krap Macaroni and Cheese

Our dinner discussions have been lively of late. I'm not sure if Phillip is trying to make me crazy or keep things interesting in our marriage. Both he and Archie have been hard to cook for lately. Up til now, they both claimed to love tacos, but now Archie doesn't care for tacos so much. Phillip doesn't like pork, but likes bacon and baby back ribs. He previously banned pork chops from our dinner table, but now says the occasional pork chop is okay. We have had zero 'chops for years! Archie is done with spaghetti, but Phillip says he could eat it for every meal. I have in the past few months have learned the only vegetables that are now safe to cook are corn and green beans. Me, I'll eat anything. But the boys have all of a sudden decided to be picky. Go figure.

So I was quite surprised (again) the other night when Phillip didn't care for the scalloped potatoes I prepared. Ok, fine. I prepared to accept criticism with grace. When I asked him what exactly about the dish he didn't care for (of course thinking perhaps I used too much/little onions, pepper, salt or something) he says...get this...the POTATO!!!! Potatoes? We've been married going on eleven years!!! Since when doesn't he like potatoes??? All the hundreds of dinners I've prepared (many, many of them with various forms of potatoes!) and NOW he tells me he doesn't like potatoes? Of course, the exceptions are french fries and baked potatoes with a pile of shredded cheese. He says anything is okay as long as there is a pile of shredded cheese nearby.

So after that little nugget of information, he decided that while we were on the subject of food, why is it that I serve him the Krap (his word for Kraft) Macaroni and Cheese and only cook the good stuff (my homemade special kind) for company and holidays. Well, he has a point. It's true, I take the short cuts with my family more often than not. I'm tired, homeschool and have an infant. That's my excuse(s) and I'm sticking to 'em! The homemade Mac and Cheese is not really much more difficult to prepare. It only takes a few minutes longer to shred the cheese. So I am making an effort to take less shortcuts. Serve the 'good stuff' to the family rather than the company.

I've got no love for reality tv. Except for one show. Hell's Kitchen. I just love cooking shows, and his in particular. I've been dying to make a homemade risotto after watching Chef Ramsey scream and curse at people for not making it correctly. So I made a killer Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto, if I do say so myself. The texture came out perfectly! I usually do Rice-A-Roni from the box or something similar as a side dish. So I didn't tell anyone any different. Well, I got praise and accolades galore for my Risotto! Chef Ramsey would be proud. And might even refrain from shouting obscenities at me or calling me a cow or something.

I know I still owe some good mac and cheese for all the years of Krap Mac and Cheese I'd served up til now. Something I will remedy very soon. We're still enjoying the leftover risotto, so perhaps on Friday we will have the good mac and cheese.

So from now on, I will try not to save the 'good stuff' for company. Apparently, they notice after all!

6 comments:

Lina said...

You can't talk about an awesome dish without posting the recipe, missy!! C'mon. .spill!!

Regular E said...

I'll always shout obsenities at you.

You've gone pretty soft. I remember being raised on the philosophy of "eat it or go hungry".

luksky said...

We always have food issues in my home too. My problem is quite the opposite though...I try to fix the good stuff and they want simple stuff like hot dogs or tacos...once I figured out I was wasting my time in the kitchen it made my grocery store trips a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

I doing my part to eradicate swine flu EAT PORK!!!
Old E

Spaz said...

LOL...I'm a member of the "Picky Eaters" club as well. Life could be so much simpler if only...

...they'd eat what I cooked
...they'd eat a veggie besides corn (the boys) or green peas (the girl)
...Andrew WOULD eat potatos (besides fries)
...Kaitlyn WOULD eat fish (besides the catfish tenders that I sneakily call CHICKEN!)

yes...cooking could be so much easier if only!

Shannon said...

Nothing sets me on fire like my daughter picking at her food, especially when I've made it before.
As for the mac & cheese, I'm a big believer in my crockpot. I try to use it twice a week, at least. On tap this week is homemade yogurt, which is much more yummy than the yogurt maker kind. We have our hands full - that ol' crockpot makes it a little easy sometimes.