Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Monday, May 17, 2010

Ladies Nite Out: Burlesque!!!

THIS MIGHT NOT BE APPROPRIATE FOR WORK-PLACE VIEWING...USE YOUR OWN JUDGMENT.




I love the Mom's group I'm involved in. The conversation is never boring, and we are a fun bunch of ladies, if I do say so myself! In mid-April, we decided to check out a burlesque show that was happening in Covington. I've never been to a burlesque show, and didn't really know what to expect. All I know is that I desparately needed an evening out and was looking forward to some great company and an adult beverage.


We met up at the Leaping Lizzard Gallery, in Mainstrasse. It was a very unique place to have an event like this because it is...get ready...an old church!!!! The upstairs where the Burlesque show was to take place was aptly named The Jiggle Hut. The show was done in a 1950's homemaker motif, complete with donna reed type music.  It was entitled something like "How To Attract A Man", done like those cheesy instructional how-to videos of days gone by.  Except a bit more bawdy and with more boobs. 

The term 'best mom's night ever' was exclaimed quite frequently.  And it was!  It's been a while since I'd been out, and I couldn't have had more fun!  


I wish I had thought to take a photo of the outside of the place.  Darn it.  Here are some of the actresses from the Burlesque Show dancing in their lingerie in the gothic-style church windows.  You know...enticing the masses. 


I really dug the cool lighting fixtures.  Mannequin legs!!!!



For the pre-show entertainment, there was body painting.  Meaning a model who was wearing nothing but a g-string was having clothes painted on her.  Brenda asked her permission to take her picture and she said it was fine.  The body painting was really neat, because it really looks like she's wearing pants.  The artist even painted a hole in the knee of the jeans!  I think the arm tatoos are hers, though.  The artist was in the middle of painting the shirt at this point.  I wondered how weird it would be for the model, because she walked around in her painted clothes after the show!

I thought this was really interesting:  the bar right beside the pipes from the pipe organ!   


Having grown up in the Catholic faith, I could hardly wait to make my confession here:  In the bathroom!  The confessional was coverted to a bathroom!



While you were um...ahem...confessing your sins, the little light above the door would go on, indicating that next in line had to wait. 

I couldn't leave without getting a shot of "The Jiggle Hut" in front of the stained glass window, now could I?



This is Jeanette and me sitting on the sofa in the bar downstairs.



Some of the actresses in the show:





Both ladies with the blue eye shadow were in the show.  They did not come there with us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Did they put the spring in springfield?

luksky said...

Interesting!!!! I have no idea what a Burlesque show is but I like that body painting idea...I might have to get T to try that on me. :-)

Jennifer D. said...

Ah, yes...my all-time favourite Simpson's song! I can't believe I didn't think about it before!!!!

Shannon said...

I knew I was going to miss a good time!