Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Group Field Trips: Out of the Loop

When we first moved to Cincinnati five years ago (Whew! Five years already!), we were very eager to do as much as we could as often as we could to experience living in a larger city and all the great things the area has to offer.  Also I was very anxious to start our life here and begin making friends.  We have only done a fraction of what I would like and I have tons left on my mental list to do!  If there was a field trip that was even remotely interesting that popped up on a homeschooling e-list, we were there.  When I got very pregnant with Lawrence, we slowed down significantly.  When I was pregnant with Lydia, our group field trips stopped altogether.  It was extremely difficult to go anywhere with the little ones coming only 18 months apart.  While I was pregnant with Lydia, I found I could hardly walk carrying Lawrence in the sling and Lydia in the belly.  As it turned out, not many people were interested in being too friendly with me anyway during that first year we were here.  It hurt my feelings at first, but as I am easing myself back into the homeschool loop again, I am finding that many of the folks I tried to associate with at that time are just that way:  Meaning that they pop up here and there, but don't regularly participate in classes and activities and thus are difficult to get to know. And there were cultural differences (large city vs. not large city in the South) that I was not anticipating which skewed my expectations anyway.  Apparently there is/was lots of politicking that goes on that I was blissfully ignorant of.  Gradually, I accidentally began to know things that I wish I didn't know, which makes me feel a bit cynical and a lot more guarded than when we first got here.

The homeschooling scene is kind of odd here...I see certain folks all the time at various things for several months.  I think I am developing a friendship, but then as that activity ends, I never see them again.  I hear of them, see their posts on various e-lists and such, but our paths just don't physically cross in real life.  There is only one family who has been a constant presence in our lives ever since we moved here, and I am so happy to have that friendship.  We met them in circus class, which we ultimately had to give up after Miss Lydia came along because it was too much to try to do naps, getting there and back, entertaining a two year old and a newborn for the two hours that the class met.   I am so happy that they stuck with us during the two years we were pregnant and then subsequently came to see us often all the way here in Westwood due to babies and all the eating, sleeping, crying and pooping that they require.

Besides, at that time we only had my car and the Harley.  In the winter months, I was without a vehicle because Phillip needed my car to drive to work every day.  I suppose I could have gotten my roly-poly, pregnant self on the motorcycle and perhaps a side car for the kids to do some close-by errands, but there has got to be some law against that, right?

For the past three years or so, we have dropped off the homeschool group grid with the exception of a few park day type activities.  Archie took many classes at the Westwood Townhall to which we could trudge through the snow.  I felt okay about just leaving him in the care of the folks there, so I could just go home during whatever class he was taking.  Our Westside Math Club gig didn't go past seven months or so.  We met at the church for that, which was also within trudging distance.  We took weekly zoo classes for a period of time, which worked out great because I could have something to do with the little ones while Archie was in class--We visited zoo exhibits.  Then we'd do lunch with all the other people taking the class, which was nice to get a smidge of adult conversation in between all the hub-bub of that.  Unfortunately, the zoo changed their homeschool class policies and changed the classes to once a month--more money for less class and such.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful because I am well aware that I am not in a season of life in which I can plan group activities.  I appreciate those who are in a position to be an organizer.  And there are many interesting activities which work better with a group!

Since Miss Lydia is now an expert walker and quite independent, we have only just recently ventured out into the group field trip experience.   I go back into it a little hesitantly, because it's difficult to plan ahead more than two weeks or so at this point.  I never know who is going to get sick, be too crabby, or too stressed out to make a commitment to much of anything.  My attention span has shortened quite a bit recently, so I am also worried that I will forget that the trip is taking place and cause a problem for the organizer of the trip.  I keep a calendar, but sometimes things slip through the cracks.

The first field trip was to test the water quality at Mount Airy Forest.  What a great first trip for us, since we're five minutes away from the testing spot!  It took place on the same day as Lawrence's class, so I had to do a bit of creative juggling to get Archie to his spot, then Lawrence to his spot, then back to Archie's spot, then to the lunch spot, then to get Lawrence again.  It all worked out great and Archie really enjoyed himself.

They are gathering a water sample to test here.  


The kids in the back were testing for signs of life--larvae and such.  Archie got a chance to do that during the time that I had to run Lawrence to Westwood Townhall.


I had Lydia in a pack on my back, so she didn't get in any pictures.  Lawrence enjoyed shuffling through the rocks and picked up a few that he liked.  I believe they are still in the car. 

 

Sadly, my favourite place in Cincinnati-Mount Airy Forest- has a stream running though it with poor water quality.  I would like to go to the testing trip that is set up for Sharon Woods this week so as to compare the two.  I am having that problem with commitment / attention span again.  

Our next trip was in preparation for Archie's mission to Mars at the Challenger Space Center, which takes place on Thursday.  We went to Worms Way to learn about hydroponics.  This applies to space because if you're gonna go all the way to Mars, you're probably going to need a way to grow some food!  This was a fantastic trip and I could not love the store more!  

We took the Anderson Ferry across the Ohio River, instead of the boring ole interstate.  It was a gorgeous day and the ferry made the field trip even better!

We will have to take Regular E to this store when he visits, because he would have just loved it!  We got our own hydroponic set up to try at home as a parting gift, and the plant is growing very well.  

Below, the lady was explaining how the grow lights worked, which type of light you use for root development and which type of light you use for fruit development.  They had a very nice indoor garden growing with the lights. 


The light moved back and forth over the plants by itself to distribute the light evenly.  Very neat setup!


I liked this drying set!  Perfect for herbs and such!


Lydia and Lawrence quickly got bored with the plants and started playing with the merchandise.  Here they are trying on 'hats'.  





I knew Lawrence was 'done' with the whole experience when he started crying and told me tearfully that he doesn't like plants anymore and he wants to go home!  However, he enjoyed very much looking at the worm composting display with the worms inside.  He really likes earth worms for some reason.  I am thinking perhaps we need to start a worm composting bin.  He would really get a kick out of that!

We ferried back across the river and made it to Sayler Park just in time for gym class!  Busy days...Thanks very much to the two fabulous ladies who organized these trips!  




1 comment:

luksky said...

After almost five years in Austin we still have not found a homeschooling community to mesh into. Now that is perfectly fine with me.

In the past year I realized even though we homeschool we are not really 'homeschool" kind of people anyway. Homeschoolers in general are a strange breed within themselves and I learned that my family does better when we are solo or hanging with our mainstream folks.