Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's the Little Things in Life...

I don't really consider myself a high-maintenance kind of gal. It really doesn't take very much to keep me content and enjoy myself. We've been doing a bit of home maintenance around here for the past few weeks. Phillip has done a great job re-doing our electricity to replace the knob-and-tube wiring with real, actual grounded electricity, complete with more outlets! I can now plug in the laptop computer (three prongs) into the wall without the adapter! Hurray! The sheet rock is on one half of the wall we are currently working on and it is beginning to look like a real house again. Fortunately the dusty part is over for now.


While at the hardware store, I asked Phillip if we could get a new toilet seat for our upstairs bathroom. The one we had was kind of yucky looking and came 'with' the house. I'm pretty anal about a clean bathroom. If I need to be sick or something, I definitely want to hover over a clean bowl over a yucky one. So I'm one of the weirdos who wipe down the bathroom every day. It's about the only place in the house that gets cleaned every day (well, except the kitchen), but I figure the grossest germs reside in there. Plus, by using those Clorox wipes, it only takes about 2 minutes in the morning to wipe down the whole thing if I do it every day.


Also, the little bolts at the bottom of the toilet which attach the toilet to the floor have never been covered and for some reason, it's the only thing I see every time I go in the bathroom. It bugs me. In every house in which we have lived as a married couple, the toilet bolts have never had covers. It was time to make a change.


So we check out toilet seats. Did you know that you can pay fifty bucks and over for a toilet seat? I was a little worried upon first glance down the aisle because there was no way I was going to get a toilet seat if they cost that much! I mean really...do we really have to get a seat which automatically eases down in case you drop the seat? In my opinion, if you drop the seat and your 'stuff' happens to be in the way...well...you'll only do it once and lesson learned!


So at the end of the toilet seat aisle, I found THE PERFECT seat for the Dutton household. It cost five bucks and had no bells or whistles. Plain, white, ordinary seat. And I found some bolt covers! Who knew that for $2.50, I could've enjoyed my bathroom experience without having to look at the toilet bolts sticking up? Thirty minutes later, the old seat was gone and I had a nice, neat bathroom, just the way I like it! So even though my wall is still not complete, it really made my week to have that little task done. I almost look forward to using the bathroom now!

1 comment:

luksky said...

I feel ya on the clean toilet thing. I have the same anal toilet issues.