We've been very active with our Cub Scout Pack these past few months. Here are a couple of things we've been doing (besides going down our homemade fire ladder, of course!) over the course of the past few months.
We attended our very first Blue and Gold Banquet in February.
Archie looks very handsome in his Scout uniform!
The banquet was very nicely done and Archie seemed to really enjoy himself. Lawrence even behaved himself through pretty much the whole thing.
A Mama and Son moment:
In mid-March, we took part in the Pinewood Derby. Archie did the vast majority of the work on his derby car with some help from Phillip. What began as an ordinary block of pine wood turned into this:
The "Archie 6000"! The name came from some toys Archie plays with at Mom and Dad's house. The Construx set that used to be Regular E's!
He did a great job and I just loved the paint job! Very patriotic! The Pinewood Derby has come a long way from when my brother used to participate. All results and times are done via computer. So no Photo Finishes! It actually was kind of cool seeing the run times. I think one of Archie's best times was 2.65 seconds or something! Super fast! Here is a picture of one of Archie's races starting. Archie's car is in the third position on the track:
Here is a video of one of Archie's races. He is in Position Two from the right.
Ultimately, Archie won a medal for being in first place among his Tiger Den, and he made Fourth Place within the whole pack! An excellent job, especially on his very first Derby!
One thing I really liked about this race is that they let siblings make a car to race against all the other siblings of the scouts. No trophies or anything, just bragging rights! I remember thinking it was so cool that my brother got to do the Pinewood Derby that Dad bought me a kit so I could make one. I didn't get to run it down the track, but it was really fun to do. Incidentally, the Derby made me see how lame the Girl Scout troop was that I was in and how totally cool the Cub Scouts were! Who wants to make a house out of Popsicle sticks when you can make a car to race???
Archie was pretty proud of his car and both he and Daddy had a terrific time designing, cutting, sanding and painting the car. Archie and Scouts seem to be a great fit. I'm glad it's been something we are able to do this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment