Lawrence loved, loved the water! He ate much sand and splashed much water. Here he is playing with Analise.
It was so hot, it was difficult to be out of the water for very long. Archie is laying down in the water, with Analise beside Lawrence and me.
Regular E and Sara brought their kayaks. Archie paddled around a bit and did very well! Here he is taking his cousin Lily for a ride.
Regular E anchored his kayak in an area of deeper water so everyone could jump off the kayak into the water. The kids had a blast! Even Mom got into the act and jumped twice! I did a giant belly flop.
Regular E and I went fishing in a little pond beside the cabin. Regular E brought crickets for bait, but crickets really gross me out. I really had a hard time getting them on the hook because crickets are so oogy to me. So I gave up on them and began using lours. My first lour cast out and surprise, surprise! I caught something! Whoopeeee! Happy Day! I caught a couple more, but they were too small to keep. So they were kissed and set free. So one of the two keepers was caught by Regular E and one was caught by me.
I asked Regular E to teach me how to clean them. Here I am de-scaling the fish. Analise watched. The second one went a bit easier.
Here is my fish's head along with some stray guts.
A good rinse, a bit of seasoning, then they were ready for the grill!
Here I am enjoying my fish. Yum! It tasted even better because I caught and cleaned it myself! Most people learn to fish from their Dad, Uncle, etc. None of those people fish in my family. I think my brother began fishing when he was younger with a friend of the family and with his own friends. So it felt like a big accomplishment to clean the fish by myself. I could do it again. Next, I'll have to learn how to fillet one.
We stayed til almost dark. Just as we were leaving, Regular E's kidney stone was misbehaving and causing him much pain. So Mom, Dad, Sara and Regular E headed off to the hospital immediately. Ultimately, he was given some medication and sent home again. We've been waiting for the Kramer scream when he passes it. (Seinfeld reference.) I'm hoping he feels better soon. :-/
2 comments:
Boy I do miss that Alabama "tea" water. Looks like Lawrence might be a real coastal boy at heart...you just might have to move him back there one day. :-)
Hope your brother is relieved of his stone pain soon....get him to drink more beer.
That looks like a day right up my alley. The setting seems perfectly relaxed and peaceful.
Congrats on the fish...and they are so yummy when grilled on the open fire! Our favorite way of cooking them!
Post a Comment