Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mobile, Alabama: Five Rivers

We'd been doing a bit of hanging knick-knacks, emptying boxes and just plain hiding from the miserable heat and humidity for about a week. We had a choice to make: Either stay scared of the heat and not leave the house, or be brave and sweat a little. Or a lot.

We headed out on a triple-digit heat index day to Five Rivers, along the Causeway on Mobile Bay. We were meeting Julie there to explore a bit and get out of the house. We packed a picnic and arrived. Before Julie got there, we did a little exploration in the woods. It was amazing how much cooler the temperature was in the wooded area.





We found a really great climbing tree. Archie immediately braved the ants and spiders and started climbing!



Not to be outdone, Andrew soon followed suit. It was a GREAT climbing tree. If I didn't have a baby on my back, I'd have wanted to climb too!



I really like this picture of Andrew and my Mom.



Once Julie arrived, we were ready to head inside to get out of the heat. The exhibit at Five Rivers is really cool. It features a bunch of animals (who previously visited the taxidermy) that are or were local to the area.

Julie and the Bear. Someone should make a movie with that title.



I am kissing a deer.



Stuffed or not, Archie was a little leery of getting too close to this buffalo. I tried getting him to put his head right next to the buffalo's, but this was as close as he would get!



Archie and Julie along the dock area.



Dad and I.



We picnic'ed in sweltering temperatures. But it was fun! This looks a bit like DaVinci's Last Supper painting with everyone sitting on the same side of the picnic table. I hear-tell it was the kool kid's side. But that was just a rumour.



After lunch, we headed to the boat-launch and pier in Daphne for more exploration. Lawrence had sacked-out on the ride there. He didn't wake immediately when we arrived.



When he finally awoke, he wasn't entirely sure of what was going on!



Lawrence and Bumpa.



Lawrence and Reemie checking out the sand and water.



I took this photo from the fishing pier looking down. Andrew is building some sort of dam.



Of course, I told Archie that this was a WADING event. Not a SWIMMING event. Before we stepped foot in the water I told him not to get his clothes wet. And in true kid fashion, his pants were soaked by the time we left! :-)



Archie and Andrew were riding back with Julie for some overnight and next-day spoiling and fun time. They had a blast and I am anxiously awaiting photos from Julie so I can post them. Julie set the fun-bar pretty high...It's hard to compete now!

2 comments:

luksky said...

One of my favorite Mobile attractions is the Five Rivers! Remind me again how Julie is related to you...or if she is. Just like to keep everyone straight. :-)

Anonymous said...

julie is the mean aunt who doesnt like to share her stuff and hides it under the bed!(sorry about that) she's MIKE'S sister
Old E