At the beginning of September, we got word that Phillip was to work in Atlanta. While I hated to see him go, having him gone for a week is usually okay. I had much blogging I wanted to catch up on. Sometimes my blog goes by the wayside because my evenings are so busy doing family stuff, then when the kids go to bed I usually like to read and spend time with Phillip instead of much time on the computer. Also, for some reason, I seem to get more done during the day as well. So although we miss our Daddy, a week gone here and there is usually fine. Little did we know.
Week One was pretty good, with the exception of the Parade Shenanigan, about which I will be posting soon. Archie's activities were just starting this month. Cub Scouts on Monday and soccer practice at the rec center on Tuesday. On Wednesday, we had a great time of fellowship with some other home school families at Jump Zone in Northern Kentucky. Our Wednesday night activities at church started that week. I could not be happier, because the Wednesday night activities begin with a dinner. Three bucks a person and I don't have to plan nor cook it! Happy Day!
On Thursday, we had Yoga, then had to register for Archie's new semester at Clay Handbuilding and Home school Art at Westwood Townhall. Laundry was DONE, dinner was actually ahead of schedule most nights. House was in good order most of the time. Then there was the Cub Scout Parade Shenanigans. Sprinkle in the massive amount of school we got done that week and you have quite a productive week!
Then we got the call. Phillip would remain in Atlanta over the weekend and next week as well. *sigh*. I really, really, REALLY wanted to go to a Mom's Night Out activity with some of the other homeschooling Moms I know. The very name 'Mom's Night Out' indicates that kids are not included. Which is preferable, frankly, but with Phillip out, this threw quite a monkey wrench into things. I arranged for Morgan to sit with Archie and Lawrence. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous, particularly with leaving Lawrence, but I really needed to get away. Of course, she was forty minutes late getting home which put me almost an hour late getting there. But it ended up working out fine. I had a splendid time, got some much-needed girl time in and all was okay when I got home.
Week 2 was a bit hairier than week 1. While there was less activity, the time with no adult help was wearing on me. We had Cub Scouts on Monday. On Tuesday, there was a Westwood Civic Association Meeting which I really wanted to attend. Unfortunately, I had to do it with two kids. Archie would've been fine, but Lawrence is a bit of a handful. I wanted to attend this meeting because there was a violent home invasion and subsequent attack in my neighbourhood the week before, and I wanted to see if there was any follow-up about it and see exactly what happened. This incident has been on my mind quite a bit and has caused a few paranoid dreams and sleepless nights. Particularly with Phillip being gone. I was able to stay long enough to get the scoop, but not for the rest of the meeting. Next time. We got lots of school stuff done this week, but the house was beginning to suffer. Laundry falling behind. Late dinners. Having a worsening attitude. *sigh*
Our anniversary was on Saturday, September 19. Phillip got to come home that weekend. And ONLY for the weekend. Archie had a soccer game (this team is with the YMCA) at noon. After that, we headed out to look at dreams. Phillip looked at the new Camaro at one of the Chevy dealerships and we spent the remainder of the day looking at popup campers at a couple of dealerships and then general camping stuff at Bass Pro Shop. We all had a really nice day together!
After a brief time at home, we went out to a Japanese steak house and had hibachi and sushi for our anniversary. Archie and Lawrence came with us, one of the drawbacks of having no reliable sitters/family members here to help with those occasions. But we had a great time together and chit-chatted with a couple that was seated at the table with us. It was a very nice evening and a great way to celebrate eleven blissful years!!
During week 3, I think I may have lost my mind. It rained ALL week long. It was uncomfortably humid, so I had to turn on the air conditioner. And even then it was sticky. It was during this week that Archie asked me if perhaps I could sleep better tonight because I'm being such a crab.
On Monday we had Scouts. On Tuesday, Archie's new semester of Circus Class began. He had a great time! He met some new kids--mostly first-timers in this class. They had fun working on clown pieces and acting out various scenarios.
Tuesday afternoon, he had soccer practice at Westwood Townhall. Then on Wednesday, we had our church activities. Thursday was rather busy. I had to skip Yoga to get Archie to his zoo class on time. When we got there, we found that some of our home school friends were doing Indian food afterward. I almost said no because I was afraid to add one more thing to my day/week, but we had to eat anyway. It turns out that hour was the sanest and most uplifting hour of my entire week! It sure is nice having adult conversation! Then we had my OB checkup, then I had to get Archie to his soccer game at Westwood Townhall. School was hit or miss. I was so tired that, sadly, I relied upon math workbooks, Bill Nye, Netflix IMAX movies (Underwater volcanoes, coral reefs, etc) and creative writing. I know that from an unschooling perspective, TONS of school was done that week. But not my 'scheduled' stuff in my brain that for some reason, I really need to check off.
The evenings were the toughest, because that's my busiest time as a Mom. Dinner preparation, eating, cleaning up, getting kids bathed, jammied and ready for bed, reading Archie's required three books at bedtime, and rocking Lawrence to sleep. I hate to skip the reading time with Archie because he looks so forward to it. As do I. It's 'our' time together. But Lawrence was having trouble not being the center of attention. He wanted me to turn the jack-in-the-box and Archie wanted me to read. It got to the point that I was trying to read louder than Lawrence could wail. *sigh* again.
It was Thursday evening when I finally had the melt down that was in the works all throughout the week. Morgan set it off and got the brunt of it. Partially deserved on her part, but partly was the result of me not being able to hold it together.
When Phillip got home on Friday, I could not have been more relieved! I truly felt like a crazy person all week. This is the week that would've driven anyone to drink. If anyone needed a glass or three (or four) of wine, it was me. Stupid fetal alcohol syndrome. I guess I'll bide my time. For now.
Fortunately, Phillip is home this week. I could not be happier. I dunno if the kids and I would've all survived another consecutive week without him. "I don't know WHAT happened to Mama. She went all wonky and some men in a van and white coats took her away. She was screaming something about showing up for dinner at six and always, ALWAYS putting shoes where they belong."
4 comments:
Poor mama! It sounds like your plate is very, very full. As far as the wine goes...well, I hate to say it but I drank the first 3 months of my pregnancy with Summer because I didn't know I was preg. Hmmmmm....now that I think about it, maybe that's what's wrong with her. :-)
Anyway, Good Luck
Oh, Lord! You made me laugh! Sorry. It's just that I'm so glad that it's not get me.
When I found out I was pg w/ Liv, my first "demand" was that Nick no longer work out of town. ;-P So far, he has kept his promise. But, I know he won't be able to forever and I'm steeling myself against the day.
Oh no! You are busy, girl! I'm glad Phillip is back home to help out a bit. I can't imagine how hard it must be to do it all alone. A mom's night out sounds like so much fun, though. I'm needing another one of those myself! Hope you're feeling well!
I understand with Alex being gone and having to do farm chores by myself on top of everything else. Unfortunately, I do lots of yelling after about four days without a break. So I totally understand. Wish I were closer to lend a hand - seriously.
Post a Comment