Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What Pregnant Women do NOT Love to Hear at 40 + Weeks

You might think this post sounds familiar. I did one very similar to it while I was waiting for Lawrence's arrival. In fact, here it is.

Here's an updated complaint log, for THIS pregnancy.

1. You haven't had that baby yet???

Wow! You should be a detective! We can't pull the wool over YOUR eagle eye!

2. You look like you're gonna pop!

Um...thanks? I LOVE looking like my body is SO huge it might explode at any given moment! AND bringing it to my attention right now is just so *extra* special.

Why is it that making 'body' comments to overweight people is offensive and making 'body' comments to pregnant people is perfectly socially acceptable?

3. I'll bet you're just miserable right now (heard last night) . or I see you still have that waddle going on! (heard on Sunday morning at church)

Hmmm...ya think? I've got about 30 pounds of weight I'm not accustomed to having, most of which is located in the front. My back and stretched out abdominal muscles are killing me. YES I feel miserable and YES I walk slow and appear as though I am a duck. Yippee.

----
I see my doc one week and my midwife the next week. My midwife is super and always has something positive to say, as one would expect from a woman who gave birth to seven children. However, I've gotta give props to my doc. You can tell he's a man who spends his day with crabby pregnant women. He *always* finds something nice to say. The last appointment, he told Archie, "Look at your Mama's belly! Isn't it so cute?" And "You carry a pregnancy so well! Not a stretch mark on you!"

I have had friends who have complimented my hair and my husband who has complimented my boobs and even went so far as to say I don't look pregnant from the back. To them I say, Thanks for the positivity!

To everyone else, let's focus on the positive. I don't have to have negative things verbalized. I ALREADY realize how slow, swollen, and large I am. 'kay, thanks.

The below photo is why I haven't had many photos of me taken lately, and is also serving as motivation for my weight loss as soon as I get done with this pregnancy. Yep, back to Sparkpeople ASAP.

3 comments:

luksky said...

Only thing I can thing of looking at that pic of you is "Put that jacket on girl!" I see that snow sitting on the railing. Seriously though, you look good when you are pregnant. You always have that sexy look to ya....which by the way, tell Philip he needs to keep his eyes off your boobs or you'll end up pg again. :-)

Spaz said...

I think you are adorable...although I don't think pregnant women should have icicles around when they're that cranky...might be way to tempting to smack someone over the head or give a little poke with one!

...that reminds me when I was WAY preggers with Andrew in Indiana. We used to sleep with the window open in the winter. I had a wind chime outside and in my annoyed state it ding-a-linged just a bit to much one night. I remember heading outside in the middle of the night in the snow, barefoot and wearing only my gown...climbed up on whatever container I could find, snatched that damn wind chime down and chunked in on the ground ;~) Hope that made you giggle...hang in there!

Kathleen said...

Just wait until after the baby is born. Then you will get the comments, "Tried for that girl, huh?" or "Finally got that girl" or "Third time is the charm". I got all of that kind of stuff when our third was a boy (after 2 girls).