Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Welcome Baby Lydia Renee!

Our Baby Lydia entered the world at home on Wednesday, February 24 at 8:25pm, weighing 8lbs, 2oz, and 20 inches long. 

Around 4:30 that morning, I woke up to labour contractions.  This time, I went back to sleep.  Lesson learned from Lawrence's labour!  I didn't want to end up exhausted before it was time to be exhausted!  When Phillip's alarm went off, I told him to go ahead and get all the stuff done he needed to at work and I'd call when I was ready for him to come home.  I called my midwife around 9 or so, so she'd be on notice that we'd be needing her soon. 

I puttered around the house most of the morning, cleaning up, making a crockpot of soup, and in general staying busy to pass the time and ignore contractions as long as possible.  At noon, I called Phillip and told him to get home around 2 because I was getting tired of doing stuff--mainly having trouble handling Lawrence because the contractions were getting more intense.  I called my parents and Phillip's parents to update and called my midwife. 

Phillip arrived home at 2, and started getting things ready.  Getting supplies out, plastic on the floor, pool ready to fill, etc.  I took a nap, read, and listened to my relaxation music.

Time passed quickly, but slowly.  Which doesn't make any sense, but it did.  After this point, I don't really have any time references.  My midwife called periodically to check how things were going, and if I was ready for her to get here.  She made her way to Covington (about 20 minutes away) to visit with someone and wait for me to tell her to come on.  She would've come as soon as I asked, but I wanted to wait until I needed her.  I ate some of my soup...yes, at home you can eat whatever in the heck you feel like eating!  I was sure glad I thought to make the soup that morning.  It was just the thing I needed.  Light, healthy, non-greasy...certainly not the White Castles or pizza the boys would've served up! 

I got in my bathtub at one point to help relieve some of the pain from the contraction while Phillip and Archie filled the birthing pool.  I hit the moaning stage of getting through the contractions and got in the pool.  Shortly afterward, I told Phillip to ask Marlene to go ahead and come over.  I think contractions were about 2 minutes apart and a minute in duration. 

When Marlene and her assistant, Melissa arrived (I think a little after 7pm) I was in transition.  I remember feeling hot and had to have the ceiling fan turned on.  Melissa was nice enough to take some pictures and help Archie with the video when the baby was being born.  I was in pretty intense pain at this point and was getting a bit loud.  Marlene and Melissa were encouraging low sounds (not quiet, but low-pitched as opposed to high pitched) so I remember concentrating on that and trying to relax my forehead so as to not be scrunched up and tense.  I preferred to lay and labour rather than sit up, so I was having a hard time keeping my head above the water level during contractions.  I told Phillip to get in the pool with me so I could lay my head on his lap and he could help keep my head above water level.

Previously, I thought I'd like to be massaged during labour because I love massage ordinarily.  However, during labour, it turns out I did not want to be touched, other than keeping my head above the water line.  I had to tell Phillip not to move around during contractions. 

Some of the pictures are dark, because I didn't want glaring lights while I was in labour.  So we only had the two table lamps on in the room.  One of the many perks of having our baby at home...I got to be in charge of many things you don't get to be in charge of in the hospital!

Here is Phillip giving me ice chips.  I was really needing something cold at this point!



This was taken during one of the contractions. 


At 8:25, our baby was born!  She hardly cried and came into the world so peacefully!  I guess from Mama to water is an easier transition.  I was expecting her to be a bit grey in colour and a bit messier, but she came out pink, and this is how she looked, as this was taken just as I had scooped her up! 

She nursed like a pro, and Phillip even cut the umbillical cord after it stopped pulsing. 


Daddy holding her.


Here is our midwife, getting some fluid out of the baby's lungs.  She is covered in a wool blanket to keep her warm.


Big brother Archie checking her out!






Lawrence wasn't quite sure what to make of her.  Morgan was watching him downstairs while I was labouring.  She said he was a bit worried about the noise coming from upstairs! 


Lawrence is still giving this baby some consideration before making up his mind about her!


 I love this picture!



The really great thing about birthing at home is being able to put my baby right in my own bed and being comfy and cozy and falling asleep skin to skin.  No interruptions, no one telling me I need to put her in the bassenette when I sleep or whatever. 


After having this experience, I am surprised more people don't do this at home.  I am even more surprised that insurance companies fight this, as our midwife was waaaay less expensive than a hospital birth.  The epidural is overrated...It's kind of like having cookies in the house.  If they're not available, then you find you don't need to eat them.  I saw how having the epidural can lead to other medical interventions because you can't feel how to push effectively when 'the area' is all numbed up from medication. 

The 'high' I felt after the birth lasted for a few days.  I don't remember feeling that after my other two births.  I think perhaps the epidural dulls the natural endorphins you get or something.  The birth was intense and painful, but concentrating on making the most of the pain to help the baby come out helped, as well as concentrating on prayer and giving my pain, myself and my child over to God to take care of.  I have been told I am a controlling person (yeah, right!)...there's nothing like an experience like this force one to let go of control. 

I am so grateful to my midwife Marlene and her assistant, Melissa for helping me to stay focused and calm throughout.  After this experience, I would never have a hospital birth or an epidural, unless it were vital to the health of me or my baby.  It was a wonderful experience.

On a side note, our midwife made the comment that after hearing my birth sounds, it probably would make Morgan think twice about getting pregnant anytime soon!  hee hee!  Probably also made our neighbours wonder what was going on.  I guess that's why they 'encourage' the epidural in hospitals..."Excuse me ma'am...you're scaring all the patients!"

Our baby Lydia...

3 comments:

luksky said...

What a wonderful experience. Giving birth at home is almost synonymous with homeschooling. You make your own rules that fit your lifestyle best. Beautiful baby girl.

Shannon said...

Just the most beautiful experience, Jennifer, and it got me all teary remembering my homebirths. It's so much better for everyone when things are normal. And, funny, my first insurance was all for homebirth!
I love that picture of your and Philip's hands together on the pool and love seeing how peaceful and beautiful Lydia is too.

Anonymous said...

That's all so beautiful!! I'm teary, too, after reading it.

I had all mine in the hospital and never even considered another way at the time, which makes me sad now. On the up side, though, Maya is so surrounded by people who homebirth that last time she saw her baby pictures she thought she or I must have been sick when she was born: "why would you be in a hospital to have a baby???"

Hope you're all doing well!