Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

And A Little Something for Me!

Up til now, we have been a tent-camping family. Our camping biggies: we have been on a fabulous backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail. We have been on a three-week camping journey out West. Which was my absolute FAVOURITE camping excursion. Among other 'weekenders' every now and again. We don't have a big 'family-sized' tent, since you can't backpack one of those very easily. So we have two lightweight tents that we typically camp in.

Our family camp outs are usually cold or rainy, or cold AND rainy. We've been tent camping in 20 degree weather, when we awoke to find our water, eggs, and other provisions all frozen and a thin layer of snow covering our tents. We gave up and breakfasted at Waffle House that morning!! We've been camping, only to arrive in the area with enormous hailstones littering the ground and most of the campsites under water. Phillip has gotten bronchitis from trying to light a fire in said weather, only to give up and retire to our tents and go to sleep. We have been camping in November, only to suddenly realize it gets dark at 5pm and we have nothing to do except to retire to our separate quarters and try to go to sleep at 8pm in the evening. Not an easy thing to do. During our trip out West, we have endured hurricane-strength winds in tents--winds so loud and fierce that we couldn't talk to each other and be heard. From Texas to Colorado, it was hot and extremely dry conditions in the daytime and very cold conditions at night. But it was a blast, and we always have really fun memories no matter what camping disasters have occurred. All of these trips have been with small children and have brought us closer together as a family.

I love camping!

However, after the birth of small child number three, I am ready to get out of the dirt and sleep on something more comfortable. I am tired of retiring to our own separate tents when we have less than perfect outside conditions. If it gets dark at 5pm, then fine. I want to sit together and play cards or dominoes or something til the wee hours. If Dutton Camping consists of cold, ice, rain and snow, then I want to endure it together.

My parents have this awesome RV. The few times I have been camping with them has planted a seed. One time when I was camping with them this guy pulls up with this contraption behind him. It was small, compact and looked pretty easy to drive around. He got out, and thirty minutes later, he was in his tent. But not a tent. A pop up camper!!! The fun stuff about a tent without all the sleeping on the ground! Heat in the cold, AC in the heat, and you can unzip the sides when you want that tent-y feeling of openness. The seed sprouted.

Fast forward a few years. I never forgot that guy in the pop up camper. I've spent many months dreaming about it...checking Craigslist every single day (in multiple cities) to check prices, tons of research...and well...we finally got one!


Last week we went to the RV place around here because I found a used one on their website in which I was interested. Of course, we get there and they couldn't 'find' it. Huh? Can't find it? So they tried to sell us this other piece of crap for twice the price of the NADA Guideline value. I asked about that, and the salesman said that the NADA is only to be used as a guide for prices. Um...yeah. A guide. One that I decided to use to guide me in my research as to how much I am willing to pay. Duh. They also tried to inflate the price of aftermarket accessories. Such as this camper is worth $800 more because it has AC. Riiight. Beware of a well-researched woman.

I almost did it anyway, because Phillip was ready to make a purchase. But I didn't care for the canvas condition nor the layout. So I said no. And I left the dealership very annoyed and frustrated at with RV salesman profession as a whole.

As soon as I got home, I checked Craigslist again and a listing just popped up that very afternoon. There it was. The price was fantastic. I emailed the guy and he called back pretty quick. I asked if I could head over there right then. After looking at these things as long as I have, I knew that something in that good condition and that great of a price wasn't going to last out the weekend. I knew I wanted it as soon as I set foot in there! The family was really nice, and they took super good care of it. It was immaculate! So Phillip said we could get it and we picked it up the following day. Here it is 'popped up' at the previous owners' house.


Of course, we had to go driveway camping! Here it is in our driveway the morning after our 'camp out'. I'm sure our neighbours thought we were batty. But it is good to try these things out before the camping trip so as to anticipate problems and stuff that would be handy to keep in it just in case. As per Dutton Camping regulations, it was cold that night. It's been 80 degrees up til that Saturday night. THEN it drops down in the high 30's at night. *sigh*

It went pretty well, and I made a list of camping stuff we need. It popped up and down fairly easily and with some practice I figure it can easily be a one-person job to set everything up.

Lydia seemed to like it. She slept pretty soundly all night and awoke in a good mood!

And it's great for napping!


So, here they are, our two purchases. I think we're both extremely satisfied with our respective toys. We'd better be. Can't spend money like that every week!

3 comments:

luksky said...

Man!! Love your new toy!! You have now planted a seed in me.

Oh, and I did want to point out that now that you have that nice new camper you may want to venture towards Central Texas for a camping trip. I know some really cool friends there that could show you some really COOL places to camp. :-)

Lydia is a cute as your boys are. You are a blessed mama for sure.

Spaz said...

HOW CUTE IS THAT! Love the pictures...love the story...and love the baby girl!

Congrats to you both on your new toys!

Kathleen said...

Hmmm. Now I need to think if we need a camper or a boat. I do not at all like tent camping, but I could go for that camper. However, with all the lakes around here, I really want a boat and not just any boat. I want a party barge (my husband calls it a bass buggy). Shade and plenty of room to move about. With 6 people on board, that will be important.

Congratulations on your sweet baby girl and your new toys.