Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Age 36--A New Box To Check

So, it seems as though I have hit another age milestone recently.  You know how you categorize your age by checking boxes?  Such as 18-25?  Or 26-35?  Well, I'm now officially in the over 35 category.  Becoming dangerously close to unmarketability, with the exception of RVs and adult diapers.  Pretty soon, I'll be writing copious complaint letters to various companies (because seniors got nothin' but time to do so!) and demanding my Senior Citizen discount.  And don't forget about those darn kids walking on my lawn...I need to go ahead and start getting a good arm workout now for the appropriate amount of fist-shaking that goes with yelling at trespassing children. 

Actually, I feel very comfortable with my age.  I am confident in who I am, feel assertive, and am enjoying the stage of life I am in.  Mostly.  I do look forward to a time for Phillip and me to be a couple together some time in the future, and not merely Mom and Dad.  We never had that time together in the beginning of our marriage since Morgan was 8 years old when we married.  So while I look forward to a time for us, I am currently enjoying my babies. 

My birthday was the first weekend in September.  Archie asked if he could have a friend spend the night on that Friday night (the day of my birthday).  I told him I'd better REALLY enjoy my birthday if I had to put it off for a day for him!  It was fine, actually.  I got to milk it for two days instead of one and got to have the WHOLE day on Saturday as my birthday instead of just Friday night! 

Archie's first non-relative sleepover was a success!  I really like the kid who came over and he and Archie get along great.  Low-maintenance, non-fussing, just enjoyable to have around.  He went home around 10am (perfect sleepover-time-to-go-home in my book!) and the guys went 'out' for a while.  A long while!  I got some time to myself to blog, nap, have a bath, all that stuff I don't get to do that I really enjoy doing. 

It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside after they got back.  Archie rode his (used to be Phillip's) bike, Lawrence rode his 'ride' (what he calls his tricycle) and we enjoyed watching them. 

Pretty soon, the guys disappeared inside, and came out bringing this:   A Graeter's Ice cream cake!  Score!  Interestingly, it was the exact same cake they got me for the birthday two years previous when I had just given birth to Lawrence and I was all puffy and teary.  You can see a newly 34, weepy and puffy-faced me here .  That's a lot of hair, huh?  With a Graeter's strawberry ice cream cake to boot!  No complaints about the cake, though.  I just thought it was funny that they bought the same one!


For a long time now, I have been asking for the same gift.  I really had my fingers crossed for Mother's Day this year, but it didn't happen then.  I considered writing a theme, one similar to Ralphie's Christmas Theme from the move A Christmas Story. 

Entitled "What I want for my Birthday" by Jennifer Dutton.  What I want for my birthday is a ladies' bike with gears, and some fenders and maybe a basket or somewhere to put a basket and a seat which adequately supports my 36 year old bottom.  I don't think a vacuum or other similar appliance is a very good birthday present.  The end.

As it turned out, the boys finally got the hint (without my above-referenced written theme) and got me a bike!  Cool!  The family of Archie's friend who spent the night had previously given me their old bike trailer in which I can pull my little kids.  Lawrence just loves riding in it.  Lydia is not too sure yet.  I must get someone to get a picture of me with the trailer hooked up. 



We went to the Mexican place I really like but don't get to go to very often because it's far away.  The most authentic Mexican food I have ever eaten outside of Mexico.  It's cheap, but soooo good! 

So with cilantro in my teeth and onion on my breath, I went to bed having had a great birthday!  Much thanks to the boys for such a great day! 

note--I did decide to get up and brush my teeth...I just couldn't take the onion breath anymore!

1 comment:

luksky said...

I know what you mean about the boxes...I am on my second the the last box now. I've already started the shaking fist and hollering at neighborhood kids too. I am on my way out. :-)