Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am Getting Older...

September 3rd was my 34th birthday. Thirty-Four!! Yikes! I remember thinking as a teenager how very, very, old people my age were. And now here I am. Since I had given birth just a few days earlier and was still feeling tired we low-keyed it. Well…Archie wanted to begin the party at 10:30 in the morning. But I just couldn’t face cake and stuff at that early hour. He and Phillip went out and picked up my cake and I got a call from Archie wanting to begin the ‘party’ immediately upon their return home. He wasn’t too happy with me for wanting to wait at least until the afternoon, but I was ultimately able to hold him off until 1:30 or so. The boy loves birthdays…It doesn’t even matter if it’s his own birthday or not!!

We have a really good ice cream place in Cincinnati called Graters Ice Cream. Every time Archie and I go in for a cone or a float, we walk over to the ice cream cakes display and argue over which one is the best and which one we would want for our birthdays. So the boys were kind enough to pick out a yummy strawberry ice cream cake from Graters for my birthday! Usually birthday cakes are made instead of bought, but options were limited since I’m usually the birthday cake baker. My Mom is fantastic at a lot of things, but birthday cakes just aren’t her forte.

So out comes the cake and the family is singing Happy Birthday (but not as beautifully as Dad sings it!). I go to blow the candles out, and whaddya know Archie pulled the old trick re-lighting candle! He couldn’t have been more pleased with himself! He thought it was absolutely hilarious! We were informed that it would be permissible for us to play that trick again at Archie’s birthday…”if we wanted to”, of course!

Me being a few days post partum, boo-hoo’ed through the whole birthday party. So in all the pictures, if I look red and/or puffy in the face, that’s my reason. Archie kept asking why I was crying. *sigh* I never thought childbirth would take so much out of me emotionally. I was counting on the physical stuff, but not on the emotional stuff. I’m excited to have a new baby…what in the heck am I so darned weepy about???

The boys made me birthday cards, which were thoroughly wept over, my Mom made a gorgeous baby quilt which has flannel on both sides, so it’s super soft and I just love, LOVE it! Archie made the label, which has Lawrence’s name and date of birth on it. Lawrence racked up the gifts, getting a baby swing, baby monitors, and a Halloween costume. Here are some pictures:

Here I am reacting to Archie’s ‘trick’ candles.


Archie is interpreting the birthday card he made.


Lawrence’s Halloween costume.


Lawrence’s baby quilt:


Here is a video of trying to blow out the candles.

3 comments:

luksky said...

I was lucky enough to never have the blues with Summer, but I remember after I had Lucas, everytime someone would say his name I would squawl like a baby....I feel ya girl.

luksky said...

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday! Lawrence's bday is the day after Toby's and your birthday is on the same day as Toby's moms bday. Cool huh?

Spaz said...

Hang in there girl...it will soon pass. I was very weepy with both kiddos, but the second was definately worse, didn't help that she was also a very hostile infant. Happy Be-lated Birthday...34 is still very young...wait until you're 41!! It's true what they say...it's all down hill at 40. Oh...go join Facebook.com and hang out with friends :~)