Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Fulfilling Fall Weekend

We had a great weekend this past weekend. On Friday night, Archie had is little friend from next door over while her parents were out for the evening. They played outside until dark then we did a "make your own pizza" night, where I make a dough and everyone puts whatever they want on their own pizza. It went over well, I think. After that we had a fire pit on the patio and roasted some marshmallows. The kids went inside and watched some Bugs Bunny episodes for the rest of the evening and I sat by the fire outside.

On Saturday, we went to a Harvest Festival in Sharon Woods (about 20 minutes from home). I think I enjoyed it the most. There are some old homes and stores that were moved there to preserve them which make up a Heritage Village. They had people in them working on looms, spinning thread from wool, showing how they cooked in the fireplace "back in the day" before ovens and stoves, etc. There were blacksmiths and people making cider from old apple presses. It was especially cool because lots went along with what Archie and I have been studying during school.

Here's a picture of Archie enjoying the outhouse. It was a "fancy" one because it had glass windows and an actual floor, not a dirt one.


What I don't understand is why there are three "pots". Visiting the potty is not a group activity in my book, so why do you need three in the same tiny room? All together? Are there any "vintage" readers who care to answer that one? The one Archie is sitting on in the middle is considerably lower than the two on the side, so I can see maybe having two of them--a child sized and an adult sized. The three together made me picture Ma, Pa and the kid all sitting together at the same time, with various reading materials, with an occasional comment here and there. Ha!!

Archie has been particularly intrigued with the different potty styles of different cultures we have been studying. For instance, he says he doesn't want to live in a Viking house because they dug a hole outside to use. The Romans were okay, because they went inside the house and it drained outside. Even though the waste drained into the streets, he would rather live in a Roman house because the potty was inside. We don't enjoy being inconvenienced much.

There was a space for "old timey" type games to play as well. There was a maze to walk through, the Cincinnati staple-Cornhole, and a potato sack race. Here's Archie and I racing:





After the Harvest Fest, we took a short nap then headed for the drive-in movies. Phillip just loves this particular movie called Two Lane Blacktop. We have it on video. I'd never heard of it before I knew Phillip. Amazingly enough, they were playing this seemingly obscure movie at the drive in along with Smokey and the Bandit, in honor of Smokey's 30th anniversary. We had a great time, and folks came out with their Trans Ams and other older sports cars in honor of the movies playing. I definitely got my fill of Jackie Gleason calling everyone a "sum-bitch". I wonder if anyone has ever counted how many times he says that in "Smokey and the Bandit"? It has to be a lot. Here's a picture of the drive in movies. It's the dancing hot dog part.


After such a fun-filled couple of days, we took it easy on Sunday. We went to church and then I got a little shopping done all by myself. I purchased some nice fall flowers (mums) and plan to get them in pots this week. It was a lovely weekend with the family and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering if you burned that there store bought wood or did you "borrow" some, seems to me that the "borrowed" firewood burns just a little hotter
Old E