Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Monday, October 1, 2007

Fizzies--When Nostalgia Goes Terribly Awry

On the last day of Mom and Dad's visit, we made a trek to Jungle Jim's, because you just can't visit Cincinnati without going there. Regular E needed some specialty beer, Dad needed specialty mustard and hot sauce, and Mom needed something weird to purchase...anything!

So at the last minute, while we were at the checkout, she plunked down some Fizzies. She fondly remembered begging change from people when she was a kid in order to purchase the wondrous Fizzies. They didn't get to drink carbonated beverages when she was a kid (perhaps when dinosaurs roamed the earth??) so the carbonated drink substitute was Fizzies. And Happy Day... Jungle Jim's had some! So we ended up with Root Beer flavored Fizzies.

After she talked them up the whole trip home, Archie was just itching to have some. Because Reemie (my Mom) enjoyed them so much. He was super excited to get home and have some rootbeer that he made himself! I have to do a bit of a re-enactment of the Fizzie-making, because I did not think quickly enough to get my camera during this ordeal. So here's what Fizzies look like.




At the top of the box it says, "A great source of Vitamin C". Which is true. Upon perusal of the nutritional value on the box you can get 100 percent of your daily allotment of vitamin C from just one Fizzie tablet! Wow! No one will be suffering from scurvy here! If only they'd had Fizzies during the pirate days! So we open up the box and this is what we have:


I know what you're thinking...I was thinking the same thing. This looks kind of familiar. Like something I've taken when I had too much evening. Settles the stomach, and works on a headache...Alkaseltzer! Except it's brown! This is how it looked upon dropping it in 6 ounces of water, per the directions.



Not too bad, you think. Until it's had time to do it's magic!


Kind of looks like some poo in a glass. Not really something I'd want to drink. Archie took the first sip. He drank some and then it just ran down his chin and on the floor. He didn't even swallow it! The look on his face was absolutely hysterical! I so wish I'd had the foresight to know how this was going to turn out so I'd be camera ready! I still chuckle when I think about it. Mom tasted it next (a tiny taste after Archie's reaction) and she didn't appear to be to fond of it either. And in true Mom fashion, she offered it to the rest of us for tasting, but there were no takers. Everyone's a bit skeptical of anything offered from her after the Candy from Holland incident from the last trip to Jungle Jim's.

Upon further reading, it appears that the main ingredient of Fizzies is salt, in many forms and fashions. So it's salty, watery rootbeer. Yuck. So far she's 0 for 2 as far as Jungle Jim Candy experiments. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Just because you remember something fondly, doesn't mean it's good. Like Big Boy, Fizzies are not good. Not at all.

No comments: