Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Some Things I Learned on the Appalachian Trail Hike

1. One of the first really neat things I learned about was the Indian Trail Trees, or Indian Marker Trees. Here is a website which kind of explains this :

http://www.indiantrailtree.com/ or

www.themessagetree.com/nov2001/roadsigns_nov2001.shtmlthemessagetree.com/nov2001/roadsigns_nov2001.shtml

Tyler and Dawn told us about them, and sure enough we saw a few of them! If you don’t feel like reading my references above, in short, a young tree was tied or otherwise altered in appearance and made to grow at unnatural angles. The “elbow” would point to a some landmark, water source, camp, food source, whatever. So basically, these trees were natural road signs for those who knew what the tree was supposed to point at. I got a few pictures of some really neat ones. We will have to revisit the Smoky Mountains unit study and find out more about the Indian history. There just wasn’t time enough to cover that aspect before we left.






2. We saw this cute little field mouse on the trail. However, Tyler found that field mice lose their cuteness after they gnaw a hole in your backpack.


3. I don’t know how salamanders are able to live in the very, very cold mountain streams. Even being cold-blooded…that water is COOOOLD!!!!


4. I find it puzzling that tree roots can grow so well in ROCKS! I try to get plants to grow in nice, black fertile soil and it’s hit or miss for me! These trees are growing through rock!


I accidentally uploaded this picture, but it's very nice scenery, so I'll leave it in!


5. It is really annoying when people spot bears in Cades Cove and just stop on the little tiny one way road for an indeterminate amount of time. Especially when everyone in your car has been very physically active for the past three days with no showers.


6. We did come across lots of bear poop along the trail, but for some reason, I failed to get a picture of any of it. We noticed remnants of berries in it. It was a little unnerving to come across a relatively fresh pile…it makes one pay a little extra attention to their surroundings!

7. Speaking of all things gross…Archie was thrilled to come across some owl pellets. Owls don’t digest the fur or bones of the animals they eat…instead they hack up the fur balls, which land underneath the tree. We suspect the owl had dined on a field mouse or something, as there was some gray fur in the pellets. Unfortunately there weren’t any discernable bones in the pellets. So who knows??? But we were thrilled to find them anyway. Again, I didn’t get a picture. Perhaps next time. A good reason to go back, I think!

2 comments:

Spaz said...

HA...Andrew found an owl pellet...we had an old styrofoam box, tweezers, magnifying glass and camera. Guess what happened? Yep, a cool science experiment.

We just got a brand spanking new microscope...Andrew asked if he could look at a booger. I told him if he wouldn't have asked I'd been fine, but now that I'd know...well, HELL NO!!

Loved all the pictures and stories, sounded like an awesome time. You are one tough cookie Ms. Jenn.

luksky said...

Interesting info about the trees. I have seen odd shaped trees before and always wondered how they got that way......know I know!