Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Proverbial Straw

I love writing this blog. It's one of my favourite things to do. I can't describe the sense of satisfaction I get after completing an entry and hitting "publish". It's totally different than journaling or keeping some sort of diary. I find the fact that others are reading this and my intention to publish much more therapeutic for some reason. Hmmm... Perhaps I should seek therapy!

My intentions for this blog is a way to record our adventures through life for our family and friends who aren't able to share our every day stuff because of our move to Cincinnati. Most of my family and friends know I take all the entries and pictures and have them printed in an annual family yearbook. I have not wanted nor do I want this to be an airing of my personal grievances or an unpleasant bitch session. I don't want to have my great grandchildren read my yearbooks and remember me as someone who complained her way through life. Someone who took her lemons and let them rot, instead of making lemonade. I feel I make a true effort to be a positive person and to keep my complaints to a minimum. However yesterday, I experienced the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Phillip called from work asking if I could run a tire to where Morgan was because she had a flat. AGAIN! She's had a leak in the tire for months now, and has neglected to take it in and pay the ten bucks it would cost to get the hole repaired. So no, I couldn't break up my day, load the children in the car, and run a tire to her. Also, Phillip had forgotten I didn't even have the car because it was raining that morning. So they make arrangements to meet up at her work later that evening. The whole thing bugged me, because it feels like she has no appreciation for the things she has. And she doesn't really have much to do with us unless something goes wrong in her little world. I know, I know...people go through a really selfish period during this time in their lives. I did, most people I know did...But I am getting concerned because she seems to get more and more selfish as time goes on. She has no clue.

So on with the afternoon. I'll be the first to admit, I don't get to take a bath every day. Every other day, or sometimes I'll go two days, but Most Mamas know it's just part of being the mother of an infant. I have the desire, just not the opportunity. So far, I don't think I have offended too many people. No one close to me (or far away) has complained yet. Or perhaps they know better! So when I get the opportunity to take a relaxing bath, well, I find it a bit heavenly! My opportunity arrived yesterday afternoon. Happy Day!

The boys were playing together quietly in the living room and it looked like they might be playing for a while. So I ran the piping hot bath water (a Mama-Hot bath, as my family likes to say), got undressed and eased in. Ahhhh!

After a soak, I washed my hair with the shampoo that sits on the bath tub along with all my other bath stuff. So here comes the conditioner. Wait. Hair conditioner? What hair conditioner? I began looking frantically all around the tub. It's not there. So I am thinking...MORGAN!, with the same disgusted tone that Jerry Seinfeld says Newman's name. I know where my hair conditioner is now...IT'S IN THE BASEMENT BATHROOM!!!!! She ran out and took mine!!!!

I am beyond angry at this point. I get out of the tub, bare-assed naked and soaking wet and head down to the basement. Sure enough, THERE is my hair conditioner! In her bathroom! I was beyond furious now!

So in true passive-aggressive spirit, I grabbed all form and fashion of bottles out of her shower, soap, shampoos, whatever I could find and slung them upstairs. I finished my now not-relaxing bath mumbling obscenities and extremely angry.

When Phillip got home, he got an earful. I'm sure he was ready to turn right around and head back to work! However, she'd apparently done the same thing to him with the shampoo when we were out of town.

I am not doing another whole year of allowing her to piss her life away with no motivation to change. We're not doing her any favours by allowing this to continue. The few times she can be bothered with us at all, she comes in to use my washing machine and my washing soap (sometimes in the middle of the night!), use my computer and leave. We go weeks without seeing her or hearing a word from her unless she wants something from us. Getting the picture??? And I had more than a belly full of it. So Phillip came up with a way to have her contribute to the community that is our home. So we'll see.

In summary, I will put up with a lot of things little or no complaint. I will try to look at the positives in all situations. But don't ever fuck with my bath time. Ever.


3 comments:

Spaz said...

Hee, Hee...I AM ROFLMAO, sorry you had a bad bath day...but for us followers it made one halarious and very entertaining story! The pictures in my mind alone were more than enough...hee, hee, ha, ha...LOL!

Anonymous said...

The FCC needs to start reviewing your blog for obsenities. And I'll have you know, I never went through a selfish period. The world went through a period that it thought it didn't revolve around me.

luksky said...

Girl, you made my day with a good laugh...although I'm sure it wasn't too funny to you at the time. :-) Feels better to vent though doesn't it??