Regular E and Tia Sara were nice enough to leave their kayaks out at Dauphin Island for our use. Archie and Phillip decided that they would take a quick paddle on toward the Dauphin Island Bridge.
They left around noon or one o'clock. The little ones and I walked them across the road Frogger style and launched them off. The sky was overcast, but the water was peaceful and smooth as glass as they were beginning their kayaking through the canal. Phillip did a great job of taking pictures, until the going got tough.
The little ones and I had a lovely few hours, and by three o'clock, I was kind of ready for them to get back. Three o'clock came and went. So did four. The weather seemed like it was beginning to turn. It was getting more windy, but not particularly stormy. At five, I was almost in panic mode. I made a decision that at 6:00, I would ask the campground folks how to get in touch with the Coast Guard. At quarter til 6, I was absolutely freaking out.
At five minutes to 6, here comes my boys, wet and exhausted. Apparently they had been going down current for a way, and by the time they thought they would need to turn around, they couldn't get back. They paddled and paddled and the land marks just weren't moving past them. Finally, some people with a motorized vessel asked if they'd like some help, which thankfully, they took them up on their offer. The boat towed them back up to the boat ramp. I didn't know whether to yell at them or hug them.
Here is Archie's account of the event as remembered by him:
*****************************
“The Trip”
One year ago, when we lived at Dauphin Island, Daddy and I decided that we should go on a kayak trip in the bay. The first problem was getting the heavy kayaks across the extremely busy street! We decided that (for some reason) we should take these HEAVY kayaks across the street at the same time. So we put the heaviest kayak on the kayak dolly, and I carried the other one with Mama. It was very scary walking across a four lane road with two kayaks!
When we finally made it across the street, I started to put in the kayaks. Daddy and I said good bye to Mama and Lydia and we set off!
While we were paddling, we passed lots of neat water side coffee shops and restaurants. But, whilst we were paddling slowly along and having a good time, storm clouds were brewing in the sky!
We eventually made it to the water neighborhood several miles away. It was starting to get a little late out, so Daddy decided that it was about time to go back. We paddled for about five minutes. It was at that time that Daddy looked over at a landmark that he found and realized that we weren’t moving! I looked at the water, and there were white caps all around us! I looked up at the sky, and there were the darkest clouds you have ever seen up there! The wind started pushing us back to where we started. That’s when I realized how hungry I was. My legs felt like jelly and my arms were weak! We paddled over to the small nature reserve island. We got out of the Kayaks and just walked in the shallow water for a bit. Suddenly, it got deep and Daddy told me to get in the kayak so I wouldn’t cut my foot. We eventually made it to the area near where we put in.
Along the way, a boat came up next to us and asked us if we wanted a ride. They said they could just tie the kayaks to their boat and we could ride behind the boat. We finally made it to the area called Billy Goat Cove (Where we put in) and he dropped us off. We walked back to the camper and Mama told us that if we weren’t back in another five minutes she would’ve called the coastguard! So everything worked out nicely.
THE END
Here are some pictures from their journey.
This was at the Wildlife Refuge.
So far, so good!
Some people are livin' large at Dauphin Island!
Taking a swim break.
The water started getting rough.
Another Wildlife Refuge picture.
This was taken on a break after they had paddled and paddled against the current (and wind) and just weren't getting anywhere. Archie was exhausted! They had made it back to the canal by this time so at least the waters were more calm, but they were still moving against the wind and current. They were both tired and Phillip was having to help Archie get his kayak moving. Thankfully, a motored vessel helped them by towing them back to the put-in point across from the campground. If memory serves, they both slept soundly that night!
No comments:
Post a Comment