Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fourth of July at Dauphin Island

We decided to stay at the campground through the July 4 holiday, and leave Dauphin Island on Saturday, July 6.

There was not a camping spot left open.  It was packed out there!  Even though this was the day of the crazy kayak and almost Coast Guard rescue, it was still a good day.  After dark, we walked down to the beach to catch the fireworks show.  I'm guessing it was in Mobile.  It was very distant.  We could see several distant shows, in fact.  Archie found a crab trap tossing about in the waves (with crabs in it) so he drug it up on the beach.

The wind was absolutely whipping out there and the waves were huge.  I am thinking that it would NOT have been a good time to kayak!  I had glow sticks on the kids so I could keep up with them on the beach in the dark.

I wasn't sure how the Fourth of July would go with regard to the crowds, but it was great!  Most people were apparently attending the public fireworks displays, so it was nice and not crowded.  We had a cozy blanket spot on a not-crowded beach and could walk to our 'home' after the fireworks were over.  The fireworks were distant, but the atmosphere was festive and beachy.

Here is Archie with his crab trap.  He looks quite pleased with himself!  Fortunately, someone else grabbed all the crabs out by the time we got back to the trail to the campground.  After the long and adventure-filled day, I just didn't have it in me to clean crabs that night.  And darnitall, we just don't have room for a crab trap.  I hope I am adequately conveying my attitude of broken-heartedness at not being able to take a crab trap home to keep in my popup camper.


Here is Lydia displaying her glow necklace.  They later became frisbees.



Phillip had gotten a little sun despite being overcast and somewhat dreary-looking while on his kayaking adventure.



Yep, that is me.  It was really windy.
  

I really stink at photography that is more challenging than point and shoot.  The moon was gorgeous and I tried to get a nice picture of it.  Of course, it doesn't capture its fabulous-ness.


And this was a spooky old tree sticking up.  I liked the way it looked against the almost-darkened sky.  And the picture doesn't adequately capture its essence.


Here are my boys watching the fireworks.

No comments: