Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, do you wanna know what you've gotta do? Just keep on swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim! ~Dory (Finding Nemo)

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Blessings Abound

Since my discomfort seems to grow by leaps and bounds every day, I have decided Archie and I are done with our regular curriculum until after the baby comes. The curriculum I use with Archie is very heavy in reading, (on both our parts) and I get pretty winded just reading aloud, which is frustrating to for both of us. It's really weird being the teacher and not being able to sit still through school!! So from last Monday on, I guess we have been unschooling. Still learning every day, but not using our regular curriculum. I try to gear him toward activities with educational value, but I've gotta admit...he did watch a bit more Scooby Doo on some days so I could get a little rest. Perhaps I'll shoot for Magic School Bus videos this week at the library instead. Other than my Slacker Mama moments, there has been lots of learning under the category of "life skills". And I am finding that even during my slacker mama times, he comes up with some little odd nugget of information he picked up from somewhere. I love the flexibility of homeschooling!

We are thrilled because Morgan has finally found herself gainfully employed by Chic-Fil-A at one of the numerous malls of Cincinnati. It's not glamourous, but those jobs aren't supposed to be. They help serve as a reminder that we don't want to be serving up chicken for the rest of our lives. But when you are in desperate need of cash and something to do to keep you occupied and out of trouble, working at Chic-Fil-A will definitely fit the bill! Morgan started this past week and says she enjoys the people she works with.

Another surprise blessing we got this week...Phillip got a promotion at work! It was totally unexpected. I am very proud of him and am happy others are able to see and recognize his potential. Of course, the raise which accompanied the promotion was a welcome blessing as well!

Speaking of blessings, the church we attend was doing a pet blessing service this afternoon. As soon as Archie got wind of it, he was very excited to take our guinea pig, Mr. Squeakers to get blessed by the associate minister. There were mostly dogs there, a few cats, and one guinea pig. Fortunately, Mr. Squeakers behaved himself in a dignified manner among all the slobbering dogs and there were no unfortunate incidents. However, I think he was quite happy to return to his home and hide in his hollow log after it was all over!

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Mom on Monday afternoon. Archie has lots of plans to keep her busy. Lots of showing off his "Reemie" at the library and other activities. We have been looking forward to her visit!

2 comments:

luksky said...

Congrats to Philip, Morgan and you who will benefit from these accomplishments! :-) Glad things are looking up for the new mama to be.

Sandra Lundy said...

Congrats on the promotion...and the raise!! That is a wonderful blessing, indeed!