Archie has been itching to go canoeing again, so we went a few weekends ago. This time, we went on the Little Miami, the full day trip, beginning in Brookville, Indiana. Phillip wanted to leave the house at 8am, in order to get an early start. But apparently he forgot who he was, coming up with that plan. I didn’t sleep well the night before so I was on the couch for most of the night. I saw eight o’clock come and go with no sound from the upstairs from either of the boys.
So after everyone finally made it up and around, we packed lunches, a cooler and were off on our canoeing adventure! When we arrived, the differences between the canoe rental places was immediately noticeable. It was 10:30 in the morning and some of the people waiting for the bus ride to the drop-off point were already well ‘into their cups’ as they say. Who drinks at 10 in the morning??? While the other place was more expensive, it had a strict no alcohol policy, which I would’ve preferred. I enjoy a drink now and again, but I really don’t enjoy being around drunk people, especially on a family outing. We would later find that the drunkenness would get steadily worse as the day progressed.
At one point where we stopped, some dum-dum drunken idiot took off his swimming suit. He must’ve been REALLY far-gone to think that everyone wanted to see THAT! Or really confident. Either way, he figured wrong. Fortunately, at that moment, Phillip had Archie on the other side of the river trying to climb some rocks. So they missed the show.
Another complaint of mine was the copious usage of profanity by the other canoers. One of the things I like about Southern men (in my experience) is that, in general, with a few exceptions, they don’t talk real nasty in front of women and kids. That’s SO not the case up here. It’s not that I’m a prude or can’t handle occasional rough language, it’s just that I don’t care to hear a steady stream of it in general conversation. Especially in front of my six year old. One guy who made an especially gross comment, did end up apologizing to me for talking like that in front of my kid. But a Southern man would’ve apologized for talking like that in front of ME, as well as in front of my child. I just feel like I deserve that respect.
So with all the negative stuff out of the way, we actually did end up having a really great day! Even though the river was more crowded than we’re used to, it was a lot of fun to canoe there. Like the other river we canoed on in Ohio, the bottom was rocky (as were the ‘beaches’) and the water was cold. So the plus side of a rocky bottomed river is that there were small rapids which made the canoe trip a teensy bit more exciting. Archie spent the vast majority of the day floating beside the boat as we canoed along.


Here are Phillip and Archie parking the canoe.

Here is where Archie and Phillip swam across the river to climb on the rocks. While I was taking this picture, the moron I talked about above was busy taking off his suit.

We stopped for lunch here. You can see how the ‘beaches’ aren’t sandy at all.

This is just a nice scenery picture. I tried to get a picture of some rapids, but we would go through them kind of quick and they weren’t really all that big. Just big enough to add a little fun and problem-solving techniques to the day.

Phillip will want me to add this one in here…I wanted him to get a picture with me in it because I’m not in a lot of pictures since I’m the family photographer. So here I amcontrolling um...I mean ‘giving direction’ as to how the picture should be posed:

And the final result:

The day ended up to be a success, despite the other people along. We were slow drifters, so most of them passed us up anyway. It was a mostly relaxing day floating along the Little Miami.
So after everyone finally made it up and around, we packed lunches, a cooler and were off on our canoeing adventure! When we arrived, the differences between the canoe rental places was immediately noticeable. It was 10:30 in the morning and some of the people waiting for the bus ride to the drop-off point were already well ‘into their cups’ as they say. Who drinks at 10 in the morning??? While the other place was more expensive, it had a strict no alcohol policy, which I would’ve preferred. I enjoy a drink now and again, but I really don’t enjoy being around drunk people, especially on a family outing. We would later find that the drunkenness would get steadily worse as the day progressed.
At one point where we stopped, some dum-dum drunken idiot took off his swimming suit. He must’ve been REALLY far-gone to think that everyone wanted to see THAT! Or really confident. Either way, he figured wrong. Fortunately, at that moment, Phillip had Archie on the other side of the river trying to climb some rocks. So they missed the show.
Another complaint of mine was the copious usage of profanity by the other canoers. One of the things I like about Southern men (in my experience) is that, in general, with a few exceptions, they don’t talk real nasty in front of women and kids. That’s SO not the case up here. It’s not that I’m a prude or can’t handle occasional rough language, it’s just that I don’t care to hear a steady stream of it in general conversation. Especially in front of my six year old. One guy who made an especially gross comment, did end up apologizing to me for talking like that in front of my kid. But a Southern man would’ve apologized for talking like that in front of ME, as well as in front of my child. I just feel like I deserve that respect.
So with all the negative stuff out of the way, we actually did end up having a really great day! Even though the river was more crowded than we’re used to, it was a lot of fun to canoe there. Like the other river we canoed on in Ohio, the bottom was rocky (as were the ‘beaches’) and the water was cold. So the plus side of a rocky bottomed river is that there were small rapids which made the canoe trip a teensy bit more exciting. Archie spent the vast majority of the day floating beside the boat as we canoed along.
Here are Phillip and Archie parking the canoe.
Here is where Archie and Phillip swam across the river to climb on the rocks. While I was taking this picture, the moron I talked about above was busy taking off his suit.
We stopped for lunch here. You can see how the ‘beaches’ aren’t sandy at all.
This is just a nice scenery picture. I tried to get a picture of some rapids, but we would go through them kind of quick and they weren’t really all that big. Just big enough to add a little fun and problem-solving techniques to the day.
Phillip will want me to add this one in here…I wanted him to get a picture with me in it because I’m not in a lot of pictures since I’m the family photographer. So here I am
And the final result:
The day ended up to be a success, despite the other people along. We were slow drifters, so most of them passed us up anyway. It was a mostly relaxing day floating along the Little Miami.
1 comment:
This river looks almost a spitting image of the Colorado here....green water, rocks and all. I do miss the sand.
Post a Comment