While at the rec center the other day, a little girl (prolly 9 years old) came up and chatted with me for a bit. This little girl just loves Lawrence, and is always asking to kiss his head and stuff. So she tells me that she didn't want to hurt my feelings or anything, but some people are saying that I might be some sort of hippie. Hmmm....A Hippie??? I didn't really know how to answer that. And since she didn't want to hurt my feelings, perhaps being a hippie is a bad thing. So I asked her what she thought a hippie was.
Her response: Someone who loves animals and doesn't want them to be hurt. Someone who likes peace and love. Someone who carries their babies in those wrap things I wear. Oh, and a vegetarian also.
Well...I love animals, as long as they stay in their kingdom and don't poop or otherwise make a mess in mine. Doesn't everyone like peace and love? Much better than the alternative, I think! Well, the baby sling...she's got me there. I do love my slings! However, I love a good steak every now and then, so I suppose my carnivorous tendencies exclude me from the hippie label.
It's odd, my definition of hippies are different...unwashed, perhaps drug users, perhaps not...people with a much more liberal world view who live at 'the beach' to 'hang out' or otherwise don't work or contribute to society in any way, shape, or form, except to use all the freebie programs out there to support their lifestyle of unemployment because "The Man" is always trying to keep them down and they 'just don't need no stinkin' paycheck, man'!
So I guess it's always good to know where one is coming from before making a permanent label for one's self in the mind of others.
I told her that I wasn't a vegetarian, that I just love a nice rare steak. Then the kids got called together to play a game, and I didn't have to say whether or not I was, in fact, a hippie.
I previously got asked by several of the little girls whether I was a vegetarian. Now it all makes sense. This hippie rumour has been brewing for quite a while, I guess. It was remarkable to me that apparently people must not know what 'box' to put me in. Also, it was interesting that I must give off a 'hippie' type vibe. Unlike adults, kids don't hesitate to say what's on their minds, regardless of how it might come off.
GASP! Perhaps I really AM a hippie. I don't work...But it's not because of THE MAN, or anything. I would 'hang out' at the beach, if I didn't have all the other responsibilities I have. I wouldn't like to see animals hurt, I'm for peace and love and all that, I love wearing my baby in a sling. I don't think I'm eligible to be a slug on the system, however. Plus my world view is pretty conservative. Not Rush Limbaugh conservative, but conservative. So maybe I'm only a partial hippie. Hopefully not the stinky, unwashed kind. Perhaps a 'pits' check would be appropriate before I go back to the rec center. Or anywhere else, for that matter.
Pass the beans and tofu!
4 comments:
I would never categorize you as a hippie.....not any of the ones like I see here anyway.
Some young boys asked Toby if he was a teenager the other day. I told him he ought to feel flattered.
lets see you are unemployed, but you do have a job, unwashed sometimes, due to your job responsabities, you do get freebies, library, rec center and so forth and maybe not the beach but you did live in nature for a long week-end so maybe your a "want a be hippie" so I say hug a tree eat a carrot stick and blame "the man" for everything
Old E
My definition of Hippie is completely different as well.
Hey...I might even be a Hippie...would not shaving your pits for a few days count??
Hippie?? Too funny that a little girl would tell you that! I think it's a great thing to not fit into any particular box...I know I don't. Sometimes I don't know where I fit in and most of the time I like it that way ;) Hope everyone is doing well!
Post a Comment